What is OTT?
OTT is an abbreviation for Over-the-Top and is a term that describes streaming digital content. The content can be text, audio, and video. OTT has surged in popularity over the last decade to the point that industry executives say it is the future of television. As long as you have an internet connection (Wi-Fi, cable, smartphone), you can access OTT content. The following are some examples of well-known OTT services.
The reason for OTT’s huge popularity is simple; you can watch the type of content you want wherever and whenever you want if you have access to the Internet. This technology bypasses traditional broadcasting methods used by cable television or the airwaves and distributes content using streaming technology.
OTT providers make money by charging for a subscription or through advertising. Though OTT is generally used to describe video streaming companies, it can also describe video calls and messaging services such as Skype, WhatsApp, and Viber. Messaging services include Yahoo Messaging, Twitter, and Facebook.
Why is OTT important?
OTT’s importance lies in the fact that it has grown tremendously in the last five years. In the United States, its usage grew more than 300 percent from 2014 to 2019 by which time over 50 million households had signed up with a streaming service. Clearly streaming services are attracting a lot of eyeballs. This trend is still growing, especially on an international scale. Here’s why folks love OTT!
- OTT services are compatible with several devices. If you do not have a television, then you can use a computer or any other digital device with internet or Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Since the service is app-based, you can share it with multiple people, by sharing login information.
- Streaming can be done on smart TVs as well as ordinary TVs. For regular TVs, all you will need is a TV stick that can connect to your Wi-Fi device.
- The technology can also be used in other industries, not just entertainment. One of the most significant users of OTT technology is education. Thanks to video streaming, students can “attend” class and finish their schooling.
- Most people move to OTT to save money. It’s generally less expensive than cable.
The emergence of streaming shows how our media consumption has changed over the years. It seems to me that OTT is to broadcast television as iHeart Radio or Pandora is to FM radio. Our media habits are constantly shifting. The challenge is to keep up with the changes in order to maximize the effectiveness of our advertising.
Advertisers Have Infinite Possibilities with OTT
The fact is, streaming is here to stay, growing in importance every year. If you run a business, you cannot ignore the power of streaming technology. If it all sounds confusing to you, don’t worry. Broadcast stations can deliver your commercials to many OTT services. They are more than ready to help with your next media buy.
Is TV Advertising for You?
Well, you certainly have lots of options! There are many affordable opportunities using broadcast television, OTT or cable. We can help you with the analysis to determine which options are best suited to meeting your goals. Call us for a confidential FREE consultation, or complete the form below and we’ll get back to you within a day. Have a great day!